Monday, December 24, 2012

Presents for Free

It's the season to enjoy the simple pleasures of life, like the fact that the tree in my front yard that looked like this in March:
 
 
Now looks like this:
 
 
Though I love just about all the man-made decorations on both indoor and outdoor trees this time of year, I'm pretty sure this one is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on a tree.
 
 
And as if that's not enough, the front yard is going to get another boost free of charge due to my neighbors' charity.  A few weeks ago an online bulletin board post offered over 400 old bricks to the first person willing to come get them.  As I was planning for an after-work truck rental from Home Depot, the neighbor then offered to let me use his old trailer to haul them to my house...and offered to hook the trailer up to his truck.  And did I mention all of this was free of charge?  Bricks are very expensive and that cost was one of the things holding up progress on my landscape design (one of the far-too-many things holding up progress, but an important one!)  Now I'm delighted to have these old bricks piled neatly in my backyard awaiting their time to be transplanted to my front walkway! 
 
 
I hope your holiday week is filled with generosity from nature and neighbors!

6 comments:

  1. Your tree looks great! =)

    Have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your blog, Beth. Keep up the good work. Allison Short nee Cook nee Jo Hawley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I lost motivation but am trying to tackle more projects quickly before session starts.

      Delete
  3. Love your orchid tree! The flowers are amazing. I have an old orchid tree but it hasn't bloomed. My neighbor (whose orchid tree is gorgeous) said that I need to talk nicely to mine with encouraging words. Can't say that I've done that yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought talking to my tree made me insane but now I'll just claim I knew a trick. :) I really love my tree and can't believe how quickly it grew!

      Delete