Friday, November 9, 2012

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

For some, it's twinkling red and green lights and Christmas music filling shopping malls.  For others, it's the thrill and adventure of Spring Break.  For me, the most wonderful time of the year is when the Phoenix heat slowly (far too slowly!) dissolves into cool mornings and crisp autumn days that bribe people back onto restaurant patios.  We don't get the autumn beauty that I envy - saguaros don't seem to understand the concept of seasons - but it is definitely, without a doubt, fall here.
 
Not that I've had time to enjoy it.  As you may have noticed if you care enough to check the posting dates on my blog, I haven't written in awhile.  And unfortunately, that's not because I've been working on big house projects that I'm ready to share with you...it's just because I've been overwhelmingly busy and can't find time to do the laundry, much less jump into big home improvement tasks.  There have been small victories...dad helped me fix the front door that wouldn't open and the door handle that had decided it never wanted to lock again, there's a great new decorative addition to the kitchen (photos to come), and most of all, there are flowers and pumpkins on my front patio (cheers for post-Halloween sales last year!  I got all these beauties at least 75% off) and a fall wreath on my front door. 



I've been learning to invite friends to visit even though the house has a long way to go - for some reason, there are no rooms that are actually completely finished and everything seems to be a work in progress.  On Halloween we gathered in my front yard to hand out candy to the 250+ kids who wandered by - my favorite (of course!) was this adorable train who was almost as interested in the thrill of ringing the doorbell as he was in digging through the candy.  Almost.


Now that it's nice outside it's time to find time to tackle big things like organizing the garage (how does it get that chaotic in such a short time?!), completing that patio makeover and painting the wall that separates my yard from the sidewalk.  But for now I'll just enjoy times together that make a house a home (cheesy but true) and the fact that it's November and I've managed to keep those geraniums alive for over a month now.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to my favorite blogger! I missed reading the updates. I especially like the last picture of this entry, with a close-up of the front porch and its welcoming appearance!

    ReplyDelete