Saturday, November 17, 2012

Bountiful Challenges

About once a month I sign up for The Food Co-op for the Commitment-Averse, also known as Bountiful Baskets.  Unlike many food co-ops there's no up-front investment required for this - if I want a food basket, I sign up at the beginning of the week and go pick it up that weekend.  I'll get to the great value part soon but let's face it, the most important thing is that it's an adventure.  This isn't a deliberative stroll through the produce aisle; it's the grown-up equivalent of a goody bag that's sealed until you get it home.  Most of the time the fruits and vegetables are recognizable but I like it best when I get something like kale or an unusually-colored melon and I have to turn to Pinterest to find out what it is and what to do with it. 

And speaking of creative, the pick-up area closest to my house is at Midwives Rising.  Seriously.  I hoped for dramatic street art and suffragette-style mottos but no such luck - it's a quiet, respectable and respectful medical office in a lovely historic home. 

Now about the great value: I save money.  It's $15 for two laundry baskets full of food - can't beat it.

The problem: I never, ever eat it all.  Even though I get a basket only once a month, I just never make myself eat at home enough to use all the food before it goes bad.  So that's where you come in - guilt!  I'm hoping that by confessing my wasteful, absentminded tendendencies I will be more focused on eating at home and using the food in clever and/or creative ways.

This week's contestants:



Tomatoes, potatoes, celery, apples, oranges, bananas, melon, carrots, pears, pineapple, celery and lettuce.

I should be able to do something with all of this.  Updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment