Monday, October 8, 2012

Patio Paradise in Progress

We've reached that wonderful, hopeful point where autumn might really be around the corner in Phoenix.  The temperature still climbs dangerously close to triple digits in the afternoon but mornings are really beautiful...and it's time to update my patio to enjoy it.  Through countless dust storms, rain sprinkles and months of total neglect, the patio is looking pretty rough.
 
 
The backyard still holds a challenge I just don't have the energy to tackle right now.  There's too much potential and too much work to achieve it...but the patio is something I want to deal with so I have a place to enjoy those days when it's cool enough to be outside.  Pinterest provides all sorts of inspiration - I love the overall effect of these examples and would like to mirror it in my own space:
 
 
 
 
Granted, I don't have the pillars and old-growth ivy that it takes to mirror the details but I do have a great space - and it could look something like that last photograph if I worked really hard. 
 
The first step I tackled this weekend was the patio furniture.  The former homeowner left behind a table and three chairs - very nice of them, though it leaves a lot to be desired.  After researching the high costs of patio furniture, however, my leftover table didn't look so bad.  Certainly it wasn't anything a can - or four - of ORB spray paint can't fix!  The old stained white-ish chairs were stripped of the grosser-than-gross old cushions and went through a good cleaning.
 
 
Ignore the weeds...clearly, I do!
 
Three coats of ORB spray later, I had beautifully updated chairs.
 

 
Granted, the patio is still a mess.  The table is still dirty and unpainted, the plants are still dead and the chairs still need cushions.  But it's progress and it makes me happy.
 
Now the hunt begins for inexpensive chair cushions.  The craigslist options are pretty much limited to this:
 
 
And these lovely options from Target are a jaw-dropping $79 each!
 
 
 If only everything were easily fixed with a can of spray paint!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, patio cushions are so expensive! I'm still trying to find a set for my new table that won't cost more than the table itself!

    I prefer to ignore weeds too! They are everywhere in our backyard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you find any wonderful deals - I can't believe how expensive they are, and I can't bring myself to try to reupholster the gross old ones!

      Delete