Friday, August 31, 2012

My Suitcase Ate My Housework

At the beginning of the summer I set a clear and attainable goal: finish decorating the guest room/office space where I spent much of my time when I'm at home.  The room was a disaster area but I had great plans for a travel-themed room that would allow me to surround myself with reminders of my favorite places without being overwhelming for guests when they stayed with me.

The good news: the room no longer looks like this:


The bad news: I definitely didn't finish the project as I'd pledged to do by the end of August.  I have really, really good excuses, however, since I was distracted by my travel decor by actual travel.  Amazing opportunities for life-changing trips fell into my lap (you can read about them here) so for once, this perfectionist is comfortable getting an almost-failing grade on a project.  I didn't work hard enough to get an "A" but I am proud of the progress that I made so far, including:






The beginnings of a gallery wall where I can hang that ticket art I love


A side table made from old suitcases, which also provide valuable storage for items that aren't used frequently


There are only a few more projects before I reach guest room perfection:

My super-secret plan to make this routine white dresser into an awesome, unique storage spot


Organization for my messy desk


Either a new ceiling fan or - more likely - a fun light, and a nice new cover for that old evaporative fan vent.


I guess this post serves as both an "almost completed" summary and a challenge to myself for the next couple of months!

 
 
I'm sharing my partway-there project with Thrifty Decor Chick's September Before and After Party!
 

TDC Before and After

4 comments:

  1. Wow Beth, you've made TONS of progress!! I love what you've done so far….the map to mark your travels is so great and meaningful, and I love your ticket art idea!! Thanks for linking up this room to the summer B&A party, and I look forward to seeing what else you do in here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun guest room, Beth! I love your clever ideas for using sentimental items, the map, tickets and suitcases bring it all together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Pam! It is fun to have a place that reflects such special times.

      Delete
  3. Oh boy, my room looks great! :-)
    I love the picture hanging way up high above the desk- Have I seen it before? Great progress for so little available time~ bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete