Monday, June 25, 2012

Putting A Stop to The Doors

Sunday afternoon house projects always start grander than they end up in reality.  Yesterday morning, for example, I planned to hang shelves in my bathroom.  Then I decided I should probably paint the bathroom before I put up the shelves, so I wouldn't have to paint around them later.  By the time the afternoon actually ended, the bathroom was exactly the way it has looked for months.  I settled for a much simpler but even more necessary project: door stoppers.

The doors have threatened the safety of the walls since I moved in...


But now that they're threatening my beloved baseboards, it was a whole different ballgame.  I wasn't sure if I should put the stopper on the door or the baseboard but decided to go with the door.  This was partly because the baseboard in the bathroom is out of tile and therefore not hospitable to the stopper...


but also partly because I just couldn't bear to put holes in the baseboards.  Since my back still hasn't healed from doing that project, I reserve the right to protect the silly things.

I've never put in door stoppers but managed to pop them on without any problems.  Easy Sunday afternoon project complete!


I also had a victory in my ongoing battle with The Great Swiffer Splurge.


 I love my Swiffer mop and don't even feel guilty about paying almost $1 for each of the replacement mop sponges (that's the generic version, of course...I never could pay the ridiculous price for actual Swiffer replacements).  I never could bring myself to buy a replacement cleaning solution, though - $4 for each bottle means up to $20 a month I could spend just to make my floors smell good!  I tried to unscrew the top of the bottle to make my own, but of course they thought of that and it was stuck on. So I did what great minds of my generation do.

I Googled it.

I can't find the video again but if you search any combination of "Swiffer+make your own cleaning solution" you'll find similar solutions.  (Extra credit if you use search terms like "how to outsmart the greedy cleaning powers that be.")  I dipped the top of the cleaning bottle in boiling water for about 30 seconds and it unscrewed as if it were designed to.  I bought a huge bottle of lavendar-scented Pine Sol at Target for $3 and using the just-add-water measurements on the bottle, it will last me about 100+ refills for my Swiffer mop.  Cheers for DIY savings!  (Especially the kind that doesn't require me to break copyright laws...)

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only person who starts Sunday with grand DIY plans, but ended up doing next to nothing! I was going to paint the doors and baseboards in the pantry, but that didn't happen.

    Where do you find the generic Swiffer pads? I always buy the Swiffer brand because that's all I've seen at Wal-Mart. Oh, and good tip on the cleaning solution! Thanks to the puppies we go through a lot of pads and cleaner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the generic ones at Safeway - I think it was $8 for 12 replacements? They're not quite as strong as the originals but they definitely still do the job.

      I found this website with really great ideas today...I might try some of these DIY replacement pads to see if they really do work!

      Delete
    2. Ummm yeah helps if I actually share the site! http://www.thepeacefulhousewife.com/reusable-swiffer-wet-jet-supplies

      Delete
  2. I love my Swiffer mop but hate spending outrageous amounts of $$$ to replace the heads or to buy the refills. Thanks for the great savings info!!

    ReplyDelete