It went a week over schedule, created more headaches (and backaches) than I could have ever imagined, and led to some serious bad attitudes and grumpiness on my part, but Operation Baseboard is successfully completed. If I'd known how much work it was going to be (more details on that here and here!) I honestly don't know if I would have done it...perhaps I could have started a save-the-trees campaign against wasting particle board on floors? Or maybe I could have just painted a white stripe along the bottom of all the walls in the house. Become a hoarder and cover all the walls with stuff so no one noticed there weren't baseboards? So many options...but now I'll never know since I did do the project. And now that they're done, I'm glad I did.
When I last
whined posted, the boards were installed and the caulking had begun. I lost track of the hours I spent sealing the boards and making everything look neat for painting - it brought out every horrible OCD perfectionist trait in me, but it paid off. By the time the paintbrushes came out, there was a great foundation for gorgeousness...including this oh-so-lovely primer all over the wooden corner pieces:
First coat went well...second coat was a little more aggressively applied since the aforementioned Seriously Bad Attitude had infected my outlook. But finally all coats were done and the tape wadded up into two (two?!) trash bags. After about three hours with a 1/2" artist's paintbrush touching up the color paint (I did mention that I'm OCD, right?), it was DONE. The furniture in the main rooms is back in place...I've convinced myself that having the bed in the middle of my room is a super-cool trendy thing to do and who knows when I'll work up energy to put the back rooms together again. But just look at the perfect baseboards! (After all those days of work, it had better be obvious that the "before" photos are on the left.)
In the process of putting things back together, I even got to fix a couple of decorating details that have been bugging me. This picture frame moved from just-off-center to actually-in-the-middle of the dining room wall...
And somehow when I moved the living room furniture back to where it's supposed to live, I found room to put this side table in between the chairs - it never fit before!
Now I'm going to sit on the couch with an ice pack for my abused back and gaze happily at the white perfection at the bottom of all the walls.
This guy is happy with his improved life now that things are back to normal, too.
P.S. I think this is the first time I've had a truly house-altering "before and after" to share on Thrifty Decor Chick - I'm so excited!