Here's the obligatory blah "before" photo:
It's hard to tell in the photo, but the entire fan (blades included) were designed to look dirty. They're a beige color with white spots randomly splattered across the whole thing. Then came the power drill...I get a little carried away with the drill. Power tools bring out the Matrix character deep within me. I got totally carried away and removed every screw in the fan...it created quite a challenge when it was time to put it back together.
Pinterest provides plenty of evidence that oil-rubbed bronze spray paint is the cure for whatever ails you. Among my favorites are these upgraded IKEA lamps:
These much-improved doorknobs:
And Young House Love's remade pendant lamp:
Emboldened by my own success ORB-ing hallway lamps, I tackled this mess of a ceiling fan with spray paint as well.
While the layers of oil rubbed bronze spray paint dried, I tackled the ugly fan blades. Here's another lovely photo of the is-it-dirty-or-is-it-not splattered look:
Even one coat of white glossy spray paint made a big difference...and yes, in answer to your unspoken question, I did spray only the side that shows. If you're tall enough to see the ugly side of the fan blade, you won't fit through my front door.
Then came an unexpected interaction with The Eccentric Homeowner. The former owner (her name was Amy and she was apparently quite a gal) occasionally strikes out at me with bizarrely unexpected traces of her existence. The most notable of these is the trash buried in my backyard. A windstorm, random planting projects or excessive plant watering...every time the dirt is disturbed, I find more evidence that the insane woman buried things. Nothing valuable, though I keep hoping. I discover parts of old newspapers, gum wrappers and plastic bags. I make light of it to cover the fact that it freaks. me. out. At some point I will pay someone to come clear out the backyard - I don't want to deal with it. The hole in the ceiling provided an opportunity to see this addition Amy made to the lighting base. Yes, that's toilet paper crammed into one of the holes in the electrical base. I'm pretty sure toilet paper wasn't considered fire-safe even when this house was built.
An hour, new screws and lots of toilet paper removal later, the ceiling was prepped and my fan ascended to its new life in its old location.
The white blades were a little shocking at first, but they grow on me more every time I look at them. They tie in the crown molding perfectly, and I love the contrast to the ORB-ed black of the fan base.
There's a brand new can of ORB spray paint in the garage because I have great visions of improved patio furniture...I'll keep you posted!