Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Most Wonderful Time(s) of the Year


If you've read my blog for awhile, you'll know that I'm addicted to the Pinterest Challenges that are hosted by some of my favorite bloggers. It's that time again, and after hours of contemplation (ok, so it was hours of pinning ideas and five minutes of deciding on one to actually do) I created a new masterpiece.

I fell in love with this ticket-stub art from the awesomely-titled blog Urbane Jane.


A lot of the most memorable, meaningful experiences of my life revolve around ticket stubs (travel, girls' nights, great dates, bad dates...), and I have hoarded almost all of those stubs in order to remind me of the experiences. (They also are useful when I am forced to confess/remember how many times I've seen My Fair Lady. There is no such thing as "too many.") They're stashed in "memory boxes" around the house (those memory boxes need to undergo one of the organization ideas I've pinned - maybe the project for the next Pinterest Challenge?), and after a few hours of digging through a chaotic mix of my past, I narrowed down all these stubs...


Down to this more manageable pile:


I had two IKEA shadowbox-style frames already, so I started taping the tickets to cardstock. The small space (a 4.5" square) made it necessary to narrow down the tickets even further, so now I have these collections of moments that are really highlights of my life.

1) I'm pretty sure my addiction to Josh Groban concerts has helped fund his nice new life in New York City - this is the one from the first concert I attended. Can't get enough of that guy.
2) I have many tickets from the Phoenix Symphony now, but this one was the first - it was a date with my sister for my 20th birthday. It represents an amazing memory, great concert and a reminder of how cool it is that I'm a big-city gal now.
3) Carole King+James Taylor+my mom+my aunt = one of the best nights of my life. I felt the earth move under my feet.
4) Ok so a ticket to a Fenway Park tour isn't as great as a ticket stub to a game would be, but I take what I can get. I loved every rainy, cold minute of it.
5) This Winnie the Pooh play is the first live theater I ever remember seeing. It was a great play (how could it NOT be, with Eeyore there?!) and I remember it was snowing when my family left the theater.

1) Toy Story on Ice: my first hot date with my nephew...I'm pretty sure I had even more fun than he did!
2) This was the day I fell madly in love with Les Miserables - and I've never gotten over it. I still cry every time I hear "On My Own."
3) I can't remember how many times I've seen Phantom of the Opera, but I've enjoyed all of them!
4) Sad but true: college football is always fun but never as much as it was in the student section. Those were good times, and though I have a lot of tickets from ASU games I picked this one because it's the only time I was cheering against my school...OSU's a family thing!
5) This may be the most meaningful ticket stub I own. Not only is it one of the best plays/movies of all time, but it's the first play I ever saw in Phoenix and I saw it with my Grammie and the girls of our family. It was such a wonderful birthday gift, and I'm pretty sure it was this experience that led me get most of the other tickets to events as an adult!

I'll hang the frames eventually, but for now they're joining my half-finished travel corner in the guest room.


The tickets are just taped down but I'll likely go through with glue to make sure they all stay appropriately folded. Thanks to Urbane Jane and Pinterest for this wonderful idea!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Beth! Thanks for the feature! You seriously have QUITE the collection of stubs!!! :D They turned out great~!!!
    I'll be stealing a button and putting it in my 'featured on' section :)
    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed drifting back in memory-land to a few of those experiences represented by the ticket stubs- thank you so much! Yes, the snow falling gently as we exited the unique theatre in Prescott after seeing Winnie-the-Pooh will always be a magic moment. And Fenway Park! One of the few times in my life when I enjoyed eating a hotdog~ (and walking to the subway in the rain)...and My Fair Lady, always one of my favorite musicals, made especially so because of being in the company of my Mom and daughters. "Thanks for the memories!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out great! I have a little shoebox filled with things like this. I'm tempted to make some art of my own now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these, and I love the stories behind each of the tickets even more. Great job, and thanks for linking up to the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Your blog template looks awfully familiar. :-)

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete