Wednesday, March 14, 2012
The Most Wonderful Time(s) of the Year
If you've read my blog for awhile, you'll know that I'm addicted to the Pinterest Challenges that are hosted by some of my favorite bloggers. It's that time again, and after hours of contemplation (ok, so it was hours of pinning ideas and five minutes of deciding on one to actually do) I created a new masterpiece.
I fell in love with this ticket-stub art from the awesomely-titled blog Urbane Jane.
A lot of the most memorable, meaningful experiences of my life revolve around ticket stubs (travel, girls' nights, great dates, bad dates...), and I have hoarded almost all of those stubs in order to remind me of the experiences. (They also are useful when I am forced to confess/remember how many times I've seen My Fair Lady. There is no such thing as "too many.") They're stashed in "memory boxes" around the house (those memory boxes need to undergo one of the organization ideas I've pinned - maybe the project for the next Pinterest Challenge?), and after a few hours of digging through a chaotic mix of my past, I narrowed down all these stubs...
Down to this more manageable pile:
I had two IKEA shadowbox-style frames already, so I started taping the tickets to cardstock. The small space (a 4.5" square) made it necessary to narrow down the tickets even further, so now I have these collections of moments that are really highlights of my life.
2) I have many tickets from the Phoenix Symphony now, but this one was the first - it was a date with my sister for my 20th birthday. It represents an amazing memory, great concert and a reminder of how cool it is that I'm a big-city gal now.
3) Carole King+James Taylor+my mom+my aunt = one of the best nights of my life. I felt the earth move under my feet.
4) Ok so a ticket to a Fenway Park tour isn't as great as a ticket stub to a game would be, but I take what I can get. I loved every rainy, cold minute of it.
3) I can't remember how many times I've seen Phantom of the Opera, but I've enjoyed all of them!
4) Sad but true: college football is always fun but never as much as it was in the student section. Those were good times, and though I have a lot of tickets from ASU games I picked this one because it's the only time I was cheering against my school...OSU's a family thing!
5) This may be the most meaningful ticket stub I own. Not only is it one of the best plays/movies of all time, but it's the first play I ever saw in Phoenix and I saw it with my Grammie and the girls of our family. It was such a wonderful birthday gift, and I'm pretty sure it was this experience that led me get most of the other tickets to events as an adult!
I'll hang the frames eventually, but for now they're joining my half-finished travel corner in the guest room.
The tickets are just taped down but I'll likely go through with glue to make sure they all stay appropriately folded. Thanks to Urbane Jane and Pinterest for this wonderful idea!