Sunday, December 25, 2011

Brown Paper Packages Tied Up With String

For months, I've been studying the possibilities of brown paper as Christmas wrapping. People far more creative than I will ever hope to be have made magical gifts with simple brown paper. I've been saving a bunch of brown paper that served as packing for one of the many dining room lamps I ordered from Home Depot before returning it because it wasn't "the one." The packing is two layers of thick brown paper all crumpled up.


The brown paper went perfectly with another current obsession: chalkboard paint. I knew I wanted to do chalkboard gift tags so I'd saved semi-thick cardboard from noble things like a pizza box and a shipping envelope. Once they were painted no one could tell!


I considered making my own chalkboard paint, which seems pretty easy to do (check out the cool DIY chalkboard project at Ogo's Love Nest). But I didn't have any black paint to use, and since I know I want to use chalkboard paint on my pantry when I eventually refinish and repaint the cabinets, I splurged on the $10 can from Home Depot.

So here, without further delay, are my not-quite-masterpieces that have made me happy for days. I love the ribbons but was glad they ran out because I like the jute twine even better ($3 at Home Depot for a big roll of it!). It's simple and old fashioned and, as you can tell from the title of this post, it makes me think of one of my all-time favorite songs.

Speaking of my favorite things, thanks to all who read this blog and share the ups and downs of my homeowner journey. I'm grateful for your company and comments!




P.S. I apologize for any grammatical or spelling errors you may find...I'm writing this from my phone in a quiet house while I impatiently wait for my family to wake up so Christmas festivities can begin.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a great idea! Those blackboard tags are a great! I will try to remember to make some of those for year-round giving. ;)

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my DC Subway Art Dresser. I so appreciated your taking the time to visit...and it was great that it led me to you and your fun blog.

    Wishing you all the best in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, you inspired me to pay attention to the wrapping a little more this year....I didn't realize all the thought and effort that went into the tags, I'm so impressed!!

    ReplyDelete