Monday, October 3, 2011

Crafted for Fall

I'm not the only one with Fall Fever! Several of my favorite blogs are hosting decorating "parties" this week, and after reading about their crafty successes I hit the dollar store full of inspiration. Determined not to spend the $30-plus most stores are charging for autumn wreaths, I collected these goodies for less than $8.


The product would have been better if I'd purchased the right size glue sticks for my glue gun, but since I couldn't bear another Saturday afternoon trip to Town and Country shopping center I made do by just tucking the stems into the grapevine wreath. It wouldn't hold up in a hurricane, but if a hurricane hits Phoenix I'll have bigger things to worry about anyway. Here's my cheery final product!


Still fueled with inspiration from all the online crafters much more talented than I am, I tackled a little autumn art for the inside of the house as well. Michael's had 5 x 7" canvases massively on sale last month ($15 for 10 of them!), so I got one out and added some fall-colored paints to my collection. I used dollar store stick-on letters to randomly communicate my favorite things about fall, then painted not-quite-perfect stripes of these gorgeous colors over them.

I love my personalized celebration of autumn! It sits happily on my bookshelf, and I'm already planning a Christmas canvas...


More to come, since I'm going to complete my front-porch fall decorations later this week.

Update: I joined into a great "party" with other bloggers! Check out the other amazing ideas at http://www.320sycamoreblog.com/.

3 comments:

  1. Very creative!!! Make me a canvas!!! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative indeed. Hooray for DIY! It's so fun to add pops of fall color around the house, isn't it?

    I have an old, ugly piece of artwork that I want to re-purpose, but painting is DEFINITELY NOT one of my talents. (So far, all I've been brave enough to do is paint over the original artwork with a base coat of leftover latex paint.) Now I have to decide on a design and start painting, but I'm SO NERVOUS to start!

    Thank you for inspiring me to stop procrastinating and just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your price is perfect! Such a cheerful front door. I saw those canvases at Michaels too and was wondering what I could use them for...I love what you did :)

    ReplyDelete