Saturday, August 6, 2011

Wonder Woman

A couple of days ago I mourned a paint mishap in my kitchen. I started with a light blue with a slight tip-of-the-hat to the possibility of an accent wall...but the light color was awful.


My trend-setting sister and a best friend with impeccable taste challenged me to be more daring. My sister even provided photographic evidence, which she knows is essential to convincing me of anything. (Pro and con lists are helpful, too. Spontaneous? I'm totally spontaneous!)


This kitchen is amazing, no doubt about it. And the blog is really great if you have time to spend checking it out. It helped me learn something new about myself, however: I really hate turquoise. I never knew this, though I wouldn't have listed it in my favorites. I only have one item of turquoise clothing and now that I think about it, I never have a good day when I wear that shirt.

Anyway, I had to find a way to meet the style challenge that had been issued without getting a headache every time I looked at the wall. So here's where the good news starts.


This is called Wonder Blue (thus the clever title for this post), and I am madly in love with it. I'm so glad Anna and Tonya convinced me to be brave, though admittedly, turquoise would have been braver. Combined with my gorgeous table (I'm not bragging, I'm just stating facts - it's the prettiest table I've ever seen and I was just lucky enough to find it), it captures the element of every picture of Santorini, Greece that I have ever loved.

I got a sample (learned my lesson!) of a lighter shade that I plan to use for the rest of the kitchen - you can see a spot of it on the right wall here:


While I was feeling brave I also implemented an idea dad had and continued the Wonder Paint on another wall to accent the cool area that pops out above my cabinets.


And the best part is that it brings in great memories of Italics. The breakfast nook was where he ate, too, and he would never drink out of anything other than a blue wine glass. I love it that the wall reflects that neat memory.

So there you go. Challenge accepted! What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so stinkin' proud right now, I think I might cry. I love this color even more than turquoise and I'm now suddenly feeling inspired to come make breakfast in the near future, just so I can spend time in your amazing room.

    Challenge Grade: A+ (you aren't used to seeing anything less!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinterest is my go to place for picture-inspirations. There are some things that I just won't attempt until I see that someone else has pulled it off. Love the color! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kristin! My wall reminds me of the gorgeous blue that you painted your spectacular toilet paper roll wall art. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Very beautiful and serene - just like you!

    ReplyDelete