Thursday, August 25, 2011

Put A Lock on It

It's a crazy week with lots of work projects, so my progress on the pantry - and pretty much everything else - has been put on hold as I try to catch up. Thus, it's a perfect opportunity to brag/feature/highlight tasks I've completed but not added to this summary of life as a homeowner.

The first thing I did when I moved in was change the locks. I can't quite get the full story on the former owner, but I do know there was a string of renters that still bring in repo trucks and letters from attorneys...and besides, I didn't like the cheetah print key for the front door my realtor handed me when I moved in.

Now that I'm a DIY blogoholic, I know that you can do wonders with spray paint and old locks - but I didn't know that when I moved in, and it wouldn't have solved the don't-want-to-share-keys-with-former-owners problem. So off to Home Depot I went.

I wanted something that blended with the old-fashioned style of the house, especially for the front door. The awful gold handle had hijacked a beautiful metal handle original to the door (the house was built in 1948 - I don't think I ever shared that!), but the peephole was still orginal and it was gorgeous. We'd gone to a lot of trouble to try to straighten out the old door enough to keep it there, so I wanted to keep the fixtures as close to that look as possible.


A ridiculous amount of money later, I returned with gorgeous new door handles. You haven't lived until you've attempted the keymatch technology that allows you to conform the lock to the key you want to use - SO COOL! I love the way this new lock doesn't look too new on the front door:


There's still a lot of work I want to do on that door - it needs to be cleaned and sanded, and I want to paint it. Maybe red?


Yellow?


Turquoise? (Wink at Anna)


But for now, I'll just enjoy the shiny handles. AND the repaired doorbell, which was very complicated. It involved replacing the batteries - a highly technical skill I mastered quickly. It's an old lady doorbell but I live in an old house so I love it!





No comments:

Post a Comment