Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Closed Cabinet

You know those annoying spaces in your house that seem to exist just to torment you, yet for some reason or another you can’t fix them? Mine has been The Cabinet. It’s a lower cabinet door that just barely blocks the doorway of my office, but served an important functional need: it housed the cat’s litter box. I always intended to take the door off the cabinet hinges, but never seemed to remember until it found my shin as I was rushing out the door to work.

But now that cabinet is an example of “be careful what you wish for.”

Italics is gone. After an unexpected and awful health failure, he’s gone on to what I’m sure is an afterlife of a really wonderful room full of couches he can claw without being scolded. The litter box is in the trash, and the cabinet door can now remain safely out of the way of my limbs as I rush by. I really wish it still needed to remain open.

2 comments:

  1. Sigh. I kept avoiding this post intentionally. I suppose I should comment on this one, since I try to comment on others. You and Italics were very lucky to have found eachother, and I love the years of memories shared (yes, even the tearful "HOW DARE YOU TEAR APART MY BRAND NEW RUG?!?!" moments) and I'm so thankful that we had such a special family day at your house. I will cherish those pictures, never expecting they would have been the last. I hope that the years of happy memories help heal the pain of the loss, and don't rush to open the cabinet - all things come in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting on my pet silhouette project. I'm so sorry about Italics, it's always a hard thing to deal with. I hope you're able to make a portrait of him, and feel free to write back if you have any questions on it. - cal

    ReplyDelete