Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Challenge, Part II



Last week I wrote about the Pinterest-inspired organization tactics I'd imitated (and there are more to come!), but today I tackled the real Pinterest-inspired challenge that was much more fun and much less practical.

Months ago I fell in love with this idea for Nerd Decorating. It was pinned by Laurie Wollin Webber, and came from a really cool blog called ReadyMade.


I modified the idea for a couple of reasons. First, I'm still adjusting to the plaster walls in my old house and am very hesitant to put actual holes in them. And second, because I'm silly and thought that the "busy" background of the Scrabble board would distract from the photos and lists I wanted to pin to the board. So I went with four foot-square dark corkboards from Michael's - for a total of only $9.99.

E-bay provided a full set of Scrabble tiles for about $5, and I collected thumb tacks and Gorilla glue that I had stashed around the house. (I don't trust myself with anything as strong as epoxy - I'd glue my fingers to the floor!)


The fun part was creating words for photos and lists I knew I'd want to post on the boards...and, of course, the blank letters because those are just lucky. I didn't use all the tiles because I also want to put magnets on some of them to create a learn-to-read-on-the-fridge project for my nephew.


I then proceeded to glue the tacks to the backs of the tiles...my fingers got stuck together more than I care to admit, but at least it appears the Gorilla glue is strong enough for the task at hand! I love the final product, and it's nice to have one thing completed in this room!



My project is nowhere near as impressive as those from the Pinterest Challenge creators', so be sure to check out their blogs. Sherry, Katy, Emily and Lana always have great ideas!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, thank you for stopping by my blog.
    I love your tiles. Such a cute idea to display photos.

    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the scrabble background is too busy, and in fact prefer your version more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for commenting on my Subway Sign post..I love the idea of putting magents on the back of the Scrabble letters, I've toyed with the idea myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant, I love it!! Warning, warning - flattery means I will imitate in the near future. As soon as I have time to use super glue. And tacs. And an hour of peace. Which probably will occur in the year 2024, so perhaps my idea will seem fresh and new by then ;)

    ReplyDelete