Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Benefits of Being Moody

I've read about mood boards, of course, and have admired countless collections of decorating ideas on others' blogs. Tonight I tackled my first real mood board...and I'm hooked. My living room decor ideas are summarized here:


Without burdening you with all the details, here are some of the major components of my ideas. Note that these ideas came from lovely catalogs (West Elm, Crate and Barrel, Ballard Designs and CB2) from which I could never actually BUY anything. The prices make me lose sleep at night just thinking of them. But armed with inspiration from others' Pinterest Challenge crafts, I think I can tackle quite a few projects on my own. We'll see!


This rug is $559 at Ballard Designs. Maybe worth it, but OUCH. I'm going to try the rug-painting method that supposedly works. I'm skeptical but it's worth a try.


This gorgeous creation is something like $500. I haven't figured out how I can make it cheaper but it's a good challenge!


I can't dream this one into existence, so I need to start saving money.


I love this side table! There have to be easy ways to make this.


Aren't these fun?! They had some at Marshall's a couple of months ago and I failed to buy them (bad Beth!) so I'll have to keep an eye out for more.


And then there are these gorgeous curtains...and I'm not in love with them only because they're named "Firenze." They run about $200 a panel at Ballard Designs, so I'll become a regular visitor at the bulk fabric store by my house until I find something similar.

So there you go...a start to my living room inspiration!





3 comments:

  1. I haven't made a mood board, yet. But I have enough catalogs and magazines to start my own mood-board-making-company.

    Catalogs always give me inspiration on trying new things and getting crafty to make a $500 more attainable by DIY.

    I, too, love that carpet! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this rug painting method too... let me know how it goes! Oh, and I've seen those eagan mirrors much cheaper elsewhere. (I think the Marshall's by my house even had one)However, I have to vouch for Pottery Barn by saying that whenever I bite the bullet and buy something from them, I am always over-impressed with the quality, and have never regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can so make this happen! I will keep my eyes peeled for you.

    ReplyDelete