Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Challenge



Months of heat and studying took their toll on my house progress, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. Not on the heat part, but I'm trying to see the horrid weather outside as inspiration to stay inside and work on the house. I've made some progress, but was especially inspired by The Great Pinterest Challenge.

Those of you who have not heard of The Challenge are clearly not as addicted to younghouselove.com as I am. In short, it was motivation to stop "pinning" ideas from others' success with house decoration or organization and start actually doing the ideas I liked. Progress is slow but at least it's progress!

I started with organization ideas - partly because I am sick of looking for things and partly because it's cheaper than buying furniture and easier than painting. Pinterest is full of people who do things like this. I mean, who really has THAT closet?!
I'd be scared to even breathe next to it.

I started my Challenge activities with this idea about a daily list. I'm a list person, right? Turns out, not so much. I gave up when I realized I never even managed to cross off all eight glasses of water in a day. (And yes, I corrected the checklist spelling with glee - the uber organized creator of the list misspelled "errand.")

I met with better success on other organization strategies, like this idea for storage of plastic lids. The spiral metal paper organizer was 50 cents at Goodwill's 50% day - not bad!

I paid more than 50 cents for these cabinet shelves from Target, but am so happy with them! This Pinterest picture gave me the idea, and though I haven't yet folded the sheet sets into their pillowcases so I can stack them neatly (obviously, since they're a mess in the bottom shelf of the cabinet!), the shelf makes a huge difference for the towel shelf.

I can't wait to get more so the rest of the cabinet looks nice too.

This is my favorite Pinterest idea that I'll probably never have the courage to actually do...but this is the funniest front door mat I've ever seen.

2 comments:

  1. proud parents of bloggerJuly 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM

    Hurrah, the blog is back! We have missed the updates! Sheet sets in the pillowcase?? I am trying to imagine doing that and having it turn out anything like the picture. Maybe if one never actually used the sets, they would fit in the pillowcase.... are you going to try it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the blog where you mention your thesis grade? That's worthy of a post for sure!!! :)

    ReplyDelete