Saturday, May 7, 2011

In the Still of the Night

I made great use of precious BN time this morning. Before Neighbor time is very limited in Willo; at other times, work gets put on pause because it's more fun to talk to neighbors as everyone begins to enjoy the neighborhood by around 6:30. At 5 a.m. I tackled my front yard with a rake...two huge trash bags of dead leaves and grass later, it didn't look much better but I felt great. Rake marks on a lawn are like grill marks on a steak - totally unnecessary but somehow it makes it look better.

Then, pressing my luck a little by hoping all the dogs of the neighborhood would sleep in another 30 minutes and allow me more lonely, uninterrupted work time, I moved to the sidewalk. A bush along the right-of-way had become the local storage aread for my transient neighbors' drinking habits and I'm pretty sure that Willo Law assigns execution for allowing tree branches to go into the bike land or the sidewalk. Since this bush did both, I conquered it with awesome force. (Disclaimer: I had no awesome force at all. I merely managed the super-cool clippers that Eli let me borrow. But borrowed superpowers still count, right?)


The poor bush now is lopsided and I have renewed respect for people who trim landscaping professionally, but at least it's out of the way of the dog-walkers. Think they'll reward me by cleaning up when their dogs poop in my yard? Yeah, I don't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment